by Daniel Olsen
Rudy Gobert had a block party, Donovan Mitchell continued his high-scoring affairs, and the Jazz notched their first win streak since before the All-Star break. With a 120-95 win over the Chicago Bulls, the Jazz finished their road trip 3-2. They will return to Salt Lake City to play the Nets on Wednesday.
Gobert finished the night with 21 points, 10 rebounds and 9 blocks. He had a career high in blocks and is one of six Jazz players to ever record nine blocks in a game. His previous record was eight blocks which had previously been done 78 times by Jazz players. Mark Eaton has had 25 of the 30 games with at least nine blocks. The others in this club are Greg Ostertag, Andrei Kirilenko, Joe Meriweather, Ben Poquette and now Gobert.
While Gobert deserved the game ball, his sidekick in Mitchell deserves some credit especially on the offensive side. He had 30 points on 57 percent from the field. He also chipped in six rebounds and led the team with six assists. He was cooking from the three point line as he made five of the 17 Jazz three-pointers on the night.
Joining Mitchell for the game high in made threes was Joe Ingles. He made five of his six attempts from downtown and finished the night with 17 points. The only player who shot a better percentage on the night was Miye Oni, who made both of his three-point attempts once the benches were cleared.
Clarkson played well off the bench with 16 points. While he struggled from three and in the mid-range, he was exceptional in the paint. He made five of his seven shots in that area. He missed his only mid-range attempt and went 1-8 from downtown.
Mike Conley was one of five Jazz players with a double-digit outing on the night. He had 15 points and made three shots from long range. The first-time All-Star showed his value with a positive 18 plus/minus. Only Gobert was better on the night at plus 19.
The Jazz hold a 2.5 game lead over Phoenix for the best record in the Western Conference. Philadelphia is just 1.5 games behind for best in the league. All three of these teams are on two-game winning streaks. The next game for the Jazz on Wednesday will be broadcast on ESPN at 8 PM Mountain Time.
• Jordan Clarkson has now tied Reggie Miller with the 14th longest streak of games with a made three-point shot at 68.
• Triple-doubles with blocks aren’t very common. The players with the most triple-doubles including blocks are Hakeem Olajuwon and Dikembe Mutumbo with ten each. Gobert will be in elite company once he records such a game.
• With the exception of two missed attempts by Derrick Favors, other Jazz players went a perfect 13-13 from the free throw line.
• Mitchell has averaged 34.3 points in his last three games. He has scored at least 30 points in all three games and eclipsed 40 points once in that span.
• Ingles has shot 80 percent or better from beyond the arc in his last three games and 50 percent or better in six of his last seven. His only sub-par performance was against the Warriors when he shot 2-6 for 33 percent from three.
• The Jazz held their opponent to under 100 points for the tenth time this season. They are undefeated when they do so.
• The Jazz are the only team in the NBA with a better than .700 win percentage. They have won 73.8 percent of their games which would put them at 60 wins in a regular 82 game season.
Featured image courtesy Kamil Krzaczynski-USA TODAY Sports