Farmington Phoenix stay unbeaten with 45-15 win over the Roy Royals

Farmington Phoenix stay unbeaten with 45-15 win over the Roy Royals

Phoenix’s dominating defense stuffs Royal’s offense

The Phoenix defense led by Kainoa Jones, Jed Judkins, and Dayton Runyan caused problems for Royal’s offense all game. The Phoenix offense started slowly as Boston Reinhold fumbled on the first possession of the game. The Royals took over on their own 41-yard line but could not move the ball against the Phoenix defense and punted after losing yards on each play. The Phoenix took over with 8:47 left in the first quarter and moved down the field to Royal’s 5-yard line. Quarterback Easton Wight then found Mitch Nielsen for a 5-yard touchdown with 5:08 left in the first quarter.

The Royals started their next possession on their own 29-yard line and then saw quarterback Dru Gardner connect with Robert Young for 60 yards. A penalty on the play against the Phoenix moved the ball to the 1-yard line, then Gardner took the next play in for a 1-yard rushing touchdown. This made the score 7-7 with 3:23 left in the first quarter.

A Second quarter explosion from the Phoenix

The Phoenix took command of the game when Wight threw his second touchdown pass to Ben Stucki from 40 yards out to make the score 14-7. The Royals offense could not move the ball and had to punt on fourth down and then saw returner Runyan have a long return that setup Wight’s third touchdown pass of the half to Adam Stucki from 22 yards out to make the score 21-7 with 7:26 until halftime.

The next Roy offensive possession saw them unable to make a first down and attempted to punt, but Judkins blocked the kick, and the Phoenix was in the end zone again to make the score 28-7 with 5:28 until the half. Judkins got his second punt block of the game on Royal’s next attempt to punt and that set up a 1-yard touchdown run by Reinhold. The first half ended with a Royals drive into Phoenix territory, but Nielsen intercepted a pass to close the half with the Phoenix ahead 35-7

Third quarter was highlighted by more Phoenix defense

The third period started with the Royals receiving the kickoff, but on the drive, the Phoenix defensive back Runyan intercepted a tipped pass and took it back 25 yards for a touchdown. The score was now 42-7 with 11:16 left in the third quarter. The Royals found it difficult to move the ball through the quarter as another punt attempt was blocked by the Phoenix. The quarter ended with the score 42-7 and the Phoenix had the game in control much to the delight of the homecoming crowd.

The Royals scored their second touchdown on a pass from quarterback Colby Frokjer to wide receiver Da’Von Harvey from 35 yards to make the score 42-15 after a successful 2-point conversion. The final points of the game came on a Drew Romney 25-yard field goal to make the final score 45-15.

Outstanding game performances

Roy saw great performances by Logan Cella, Cole West, and Young.

Farmington saw Wight, Travis Hoopes, Runyan, Jones, Judkins, and Drew Romney all have a great game.

photo by James Tate of Farmington Phoenix receiver Mitch Nielsen

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: